Jasmine rice seasoned with fresh cilantro and lime. This copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice recipe is great for homemade burrito bowls!
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice from half a lime
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rinse the rice in a mesh strainer.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, salt, and bay leaf and cover.
- Reduce heat to low to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes, or until the water in absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Stir well and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you make Chipotle rice without cilantro? Yes, you can omit the cilantro if you’re not a fan. However, cilantro is perhaps one of the key tastes in this recipe, so leaving it out means it won’t be nearly as close in taste to Chipotle’s rice.
- Why use jasmine vs basmati rice in this recipe? You can use either kind. In fact, you can use about any type of rice. Of course, others will require different amounts of water, will have varied cooking times, some will be stickier, some need rinsing and some don’t… the list goes on. In my opinion, jasmine is easier to cook than basmati, yet brings a better flavor and texture than plain white rice or brown rice. Jasmine rice seems to come out well every time, whereas (again, my own experience here) basmati can seem a little finicky. It is said that jasmine is known to have a sweeter, nuttier taste. I can’t tell much difference in taste; for me, I favor jasmine for its ease and consistency in cooking.
- Is Chipotle rice gluten-free? Jasmine rice is naturally gluten-free, so this copycat recipe is gluten-free.
- What goes with cilantro lime rice? This recipe is a perfect addition to a homemade Chipotle burrito bowl bar, alongside items such as barbacoa, carnitas, grilled chicken, pinto beans, corn salsa, fresh tomato salsa, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, fajita vegetables, and cheese. However, this rice can be used virtually all ways any other rice is used. The cilantro and lime combination make it a perfect sidekick to any Mexican dish.
Homemade Chipotle Burrito Bar
When we’re expecting a crowd of guests, homemade burrito bowls are always a hit. People can make their own burritos, bowls, tacos, salads, and even quesadillas, taking what they want and leaving what they don’t.
We typically have the following items on our burrito bowl bar:
- Copycat Chipotle Pinto Beans
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken
- Copycat Chipotle Barbacoa
- Copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice (of course)
- Copycat Chipotle Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Copycat Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette
- Sour cream (organic sour cream is extra rich and creamy)
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Leave a Reply